Are you planning to sell your iPhone? Then you need to perform some tasks before selling your iPhone to keep your data safe. As you will be handing over your iPhone to someone else, you have to ensure that the iPhone does not have any digital footprint on the data that belongs to you.
A new user has to log into their iPhone using the Apple ID for extensive use. When selling your iPhone to someone else, the new owner will log into that iPhone with their Apple ID. The phone’s original owner must remember the following things before selling their iPhone.
Besides, the iPhone is linked to several other Apple services. Therefore, it is essential to disconnect and remove the connected profiles registered on the device. Along with them, there are a few other things that require attention before selling an iPhone. Let’s check that out now.
Tips to Follow Before Selling Your iPhone
Here are the crucial tips to make your iPhone ready for the new buyer by erasing all your traces from the devices.
1.Disable Find My iPhone
It would help you if you log out of your Apple ID and every other Apple related service you used to have on the handset. The person buying it will log into the iPhone using their Apple ID. Then they will get an iOS prompt to re-enable “Find My iPhone” as they are the new owner.
To disable Find My iPhone:
- Open the Settings app.
- Then, click the Apple ID at the top of the screen.
- Next, tap on Find Me.
- Tap on Find my iPhone.
- Now, please tap on the switch beside the feature to turn it off.
If you have sold the iPhone and not turned the Find My iPhone off, you can still do it by accessing iCloud.
- Open the browser on your PC.
- In the URL bar, type iCloud.com/find.
- Log in using your Apple ID.
- In the right-hand corner, click on your name to reveal a drop-down menu.
- From that drop-down, select Account Settings.
- Under My Devices, you will see your iPhone is listed. Click on it.
- Click on the X sign beside the iPhone to remove it.
- You may be asked to enter the Apple ID password to confirm the move.
Turn off iMessage on your iPhone.
iMessage service is Apple ID-oriented. If you plan to sell your iPhone, you will eventually log out and de-link your Apple ID. If you do not disable iMessage, and if someone sends messages to you, they may be received by the new owner of the iPhone. This is undesirable and needs to be avoided.
- Open the Settings app.
- Tap on Messages.
- Please tap on the switch beside iMessage to disable it.
Create a Backup of your iPhone Data
It is essential to make a data backup of your content on the iPhone and transfer it to iCloud. If iCloud has been taking automatic backups over time, then that’s fine as well.
- Open the iOS Settings app.
- Tap on your Apple Id.
- Then tap on iCloud
- Next, tap on iCloud Backup.
- Tap on Backup Now.
If iCloud Backup is already enabled, then the Back up Now option will be greyed out. This means the data on your iPhone is being actively backed up to the Apple cloud storage. We suggest using a WiFi network while creating the Backup to fasten up the upload process.
Alternatively, create a backup of your iPhone data using iTunes and store the Backup on your computer. You have to download and install the latest version of iTunes on the PC on which you will create a backup of your iPhone data.
- Connect the iPhone and the PC.
- Then launch iTunes on your computer.
- You will see an iPhone icon on the left-hand side of the iTunes home screen. Click on it.
- Under the Backups tab, click This Computer and click on Backup Now.
Depending upon the amount of data you are backing up, it may take a few minutes or half an hour to create the Backup.
Trash All the Data on Your iPhone
This is an important step you must take advantage of. First, take a backup of all your data present on the iPhone. Then you must wipe out all the data and current content on the device.
- Open the Settings app.
- Then tap on General.
- Under that, navigate to Transfer or Reset iPhone.
- From the menu, select Erase All Content and Settings.
- You will be asked to enter the iPhone passcode and confirm the data wipeout.
Make sure to have a sufficient battery charge on your iPhone, as the data deletion process may consume more time depending on the volume of data on the iPhone.
Unpair Your Apple Watch Linked to the iPhone
As you sell out the iPhone, it’s essential to de-link your Apple Watch, which is paired to the iPhone.
- Launch the Apple Watch app on the iPhone.
- Tap on My Watch. [Tap on All Watches to select one watch if you have many more than one Apple Watch]
- Next, tap the info button and select Unpair Apple Watch.
De-Register the iPhone from your Apple ID profile
The concept is relatively simple. As the iPhone is being sold, it will have no association with your Apple ID. So, it is wise to de-register the iPhone.
- Open a secure browser on another smart device like your laptop or desktop PC and visit https://appleid.apple.com/account/manage.
- Log in using your Apple ID credentials.
- Now, click on Devices.
- Click on your iPhone name.
- As the iPhone details show up, navigate to the bottom and click on the Remove from Account button in the popup.
Sign Out of Your Apple ID
Go for this step only after you have successfully created a backup of your device data and erased the existing content on your iPhone. Signing out of Apple ID will also sign you out of the Apple Store and iCloud.
- Launch the Settings app.
- Then tap on your Apple ID profile.
- Please navigate to the option Sign Out and tap on it.
- You will be asked to enter your Apple ID credentials.
- Then tap on turn off to sign out.
Eject the SIM Card
This may seem like really easy, but in most cases, people, before selling their iPhones, need to remember to eject their SIM Cards. So, make sure after you are done with all the necessary things like backing up data, wiping out your iPhone, take out your SIM card.
Use your iPhone model’s designated SIM ejector PIN and carefully remove the SIM card. Also, include the SIM ejector tool with the iPhone box for the person buying the iPhone. Otherwise, the person won’t be able to insert his SIM card into the iPhone.
Sign Out of Apps
You may use various apps, such as dating apps, financial apps, etc., on your iPhone. Usually, there are dozens of such apps that almost every smartphone user has on their iPhone. Check all the apps and log out of all these apps.
You should uninstall these apps as well and delete them from your iPhone. This way, the new iPhone owner won’t have access to the apps you use. Later you can install the apps on your new iPhone and log in using your credentials.
Ensure the iPhone Has No Hardware Issues
Before you deliver your iPhone to the new owner, check that there are no issues with the hardware. Primarily, limit the front display and backside glass to see if there is any crack or anything.
If no issues are there, then it is okay. Otherwise, before selling your iPhone get the problems fixed by taking the device to an official Apple service centre.
Do check for heating issues as well on the iPhone. As the device is now clear of data and is almost new without many apps, heating issues should not exist.
Ensure to include the paperwork, original bill, power brick, and cable in the iPhone box.
So, these are the essential things you must do before selling your iPhone. Following these tips will keep your data safe, which you can use on your new iPhone. Also, resetting the iPhone will make it easier for the new buyer to set up the iPhone as per his requirements.
Previous Article – The First Fully Wireless OLED TV Is Entirely Off The Hook Globally